DASA’s competence model reflects the vision that the role of the IT engineer will become more generic as DevOps teams develop. Anyone of the crew can roughly do the job of another. The key to working in this environment is to recognize that there is a skills and knowledge set that needs to be present in every DevOps team. The distribution of these skills and knowledge may be different per team. However, each team will need to ensure that there is enough of each skill and knowledge area to ensure the service is delivered as required by the customers of the service.
12 Skills and Behavior Areas
The DASA competence model identifies 8 knowledge areas and 4 skills and behavior areas that are relevant in DevOps. Every professional operating in a DevOps team requires all 12 competencies in varying degree. This is described in the DASA professional qualification program.
Why DevOps Skills Matter
- Courage: Evangelism, coaching, self-confidence, proactivity, reflection, trust, open discussions, experimentation, fail fast, courage to change.
- Teambuilding: Understand the other’s point of view, collaboration, mutual accountability, common purpose, ability to integrally support the service/product.
- DevOps Leadership: Facilitating teams to high performance, humility, transparency, Service lifecycle mindset, Stakeholder management.
- Continuous improvement: Today we do our work better than yesterday, kaizen mindset, quality at the source, first time right, knowledge-sharing, ability to adapt.
- Business Value Optimization: Use of the IT service in real life, including direct feedback loop of user comments to team, service level management, definition of done, business activity/performance monitoring, business case management.
- Business Analysis: Functional requirements, non-functional requirements, longer term development of business process (based on translation of market developments), data analysis, and refinement.
- Architecture & Design: Ensuring fit between developments and current situation, overall service design, patterns & styles.
- Programming: Software engineering mastery, everything as code, data management.
- Continuous Delivery: Automated testing, deployment and release management, configuration management, version control, cloud, containerization, feature-driven delivery.
- Test Specification: Design of test cases, test concepts.
- Infrastructure Engineering: Technical monitoring, performance management (e.g load balancing etc.), capacity and availability management, reliability engineering, cloud, containerization.
- Security, Risk & Compliance: Security, service continuity planning.
DASA Qualification Program
The DASA competence model offers a maturity model of 5 levels for professionals and teams. The maturity distribution of DevOps competencies may be different per individual, however, each team will need to have sufficient competencies to ensure performance and output.
With the support of the DASA competence model and qualification program we can build and assess DevOps teams and enable organizations to win.
DASA DevOps Fundamentals
Provides an extensive introduction to the core agile DevOps principles covering the essential knowledge and skill competences that have been defined by DASA.
DASA DevOps Practitioner
Builds upon the DASA DevOps Fundamentals qualification. The key focus of DevOps Practitioner is on the 4 skill areas required for successful DevOps results.